Minnesota’s Premier Policyholder Attorneys

Udoibok, Tupa & Hussey PLLP’s insurance claim attorneys represent businesses and homeowners in first-party insurance claim matters involving property damage. Whether an insurer is denying coverage, trying to limit the scope and extent of insurance benefits, or commencing a lengthy investigation in an attempt to delay, deny or limit coverage, UTH’s experienced insurance law attorneys know the lengths your insurance company will go to deny you the insurance benefits you paid for in your policy. Suing insurance companies and holding them accountable to their contracts is a pleasure for UTH attorneys, especially when the cause unnecessary delays to trigger “gotcha clauses” in their policies in their attempt to deny coverage and dishonor their obligations under their contracts.

Whether your insurance claim arises from a fire loss claim, smoke damage claim, tornado damage loss, wind damage, or hail storm, your insurance company’s interests are adverse to yours.  The insurance company’s adjuster is not working for your best interests, but the best interests of the insurance company and he or she will deny, delay, and limit your claim at any opportunity.  Your insurance company has a plethora of lawyers; you should have a policyholder lawyer on your side as well.

Please contact our office when making an insurance claim after your major property damage loss or personal injury, especially when your insurance company wants:

  • Financial documents
  • A Proof of Loss
  • A Contents Inventory
  • An examination under oath (EUO)
  • Authorizations for documents
  • An appraisal
  • To conduct a special investigation
  • To delay your claim
  • To refuse payment in full
  • To deny you benefits

You paid for your insurance policy to provide you with peace of mind should anything happen to your property.  When your property is damaged or destroyed, your insurance company must honor the contract you paid for.  Udoibok, Tupa & Hussey have sued the largest insurance companies in the world on behalf of policyholders and they get their clients results by forcing insurers to honor their obligations under their policies and the law.

The State of Minnesota has a strict statutory fire insurance policy as well as standards of behavior for insurance claim adjusters that many insurers ignore.  Bad faith claims handling by insurers is widespread in Minnesota as many insurers simply evaluate claims on a cost-benefit analysis and limit payments to as little as they believe they can get away with paying to avoid a lawsuit.  Minnesota has the weakest “bad-faith” law in the nation and the Department of Commerce is unwilling or unable to regulate unfair claims practices.  Nevertheless, Udoibok, Tupa & Hussey will not hesitate to litigate with insurers who refuse to abide by their obligations and the legal standards of conduct.  If you have an insurance claim involving damages to your property, you need to have a lawyer help you navigate your policy and hold your insurer accountable.

Our experienced attorneys have successfully litigated property insurance claim disputes against a multitude of insurance companies, including, but not limited to:

  • Allstate Property and Casualty Company
  • American Family Mutual Insurance Company
  • American National Property and Casualty Company
  • American Security Insurance Company
  • Austin Mutual Insurance Company
  • Auto-Owners Mutual Insurance Company
  • Church Mutual Insurance Company
  • Cincinnati Insurance Company
  • Country Financial Mutual Insurance Company
  • Grinnell Mutual Insurance Company
  • IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company
  • Mid-Minnesota Mutual Insurance Company
  • North Star Mutual Insurance Company
  • Penn-Star Insurance Company
  • Ram Mutual Reinsurance Company
  • SECURA Supreme Insurance Company
  • State Auto Insurance Company
  • State Farm Fire and Casualty Company
  • Travelers Indemnity Company of Connecticut
  • West Bend Mutual Insurance Company
  • Western National Mutual Insurance Company
  • Wilson Mutual Insurance Company
  • USAA

Frequently Asked Questions:

Why should I hire an attorney to help me with my property insurance claim?

Answer: Insurance policies are drafted by insurance companies and riddled with loop holes intended to benefit insurance companies.  Navigating the language in a policy in an effort to digest coverages, exceptions to coverage, and addendum to coverage is an extremely tedious, complex endeavor that even judges have difficulty with. To be sure your claim is handled properly and you get all the benefits you are entitled to while avoiding pitfalls to coverage, you should retain an attorney experienced and knowledgeable in handling property damage insurance claims.

Can I trust my insurance company’s adjuster to help me with my claim?

Answer: NO! Your insurance company’s adjuster works for your insurance company–NOT YOU. Your insurance company’s adjuster’s job is to limit the amount your insurance company pays you on your claim and to look for any way to minimize your damages and deny you benefits you are entitled to under your policy.

Can a public insurance adjuster help me?

Answer: Typically, yes, but it depends upon the stage of your claim and the proposed scope of services. For example, if the insurance company has already extended coverage for your loss and you need to itemize the amount of your loss and inventory your personal property, a licensed public insurance adjuster can perform an excellent job inventorying your personal property and advocating for the amount to be paid under your policy. However, if your insurer has raised issues of coverage, asked you to appear for an examination under oath, or the time limitation for suit is nearing, you need an attorney to represent you. Our law firm works with several licensed public insurance adjusters and we are always willing to refer one to you for your particular needs.

What is my time limit to bring suit against my insurance company?

Answer: Depending on the type of loss and the specific language in your insurance policy, you generally have one year for damages caused by wind or hail and two years for damages caused by fire.

Do delays by my insurance company extend the time limit for suit?

Answer: No. Unfortunately, an all too common tactic of insurance companies is to delay the payment of claims and sting policyholders along until the time limit for suit has passed and policyholders have no further regress–seek advice of a lawyer before it is too late.

What does it mean if my home is deemed a “total loss” after a fire?

Answer: In Minnesota, if your dwelling is deemed a “total loss” after a fire, you are entitled to the stated limits on your homeowner’s insurance policy under the Minnesota Standard Homeowners Insurance Policy.

 What is an appraisal?

Answer: If you and your insurance company disagree on the amount of loss sustained to your property, you have the right to have the damages reviewed by an appraisal panel consisting of an appraiser of your choice, an appraiser selected by your insurance company (who will advocate for your insurance company), and a neutral umpire agreed upon by your appraiser and the insurance company’s appraiser.  You and your insurance company will have the opportunity to present your arguments to the panel and have the panel reach a determination as to the amount of loss.  BUT, corruption of the appraisal process by insurance companies is rampant in the State of Minnesota.  You should be very careful not to be lulled into the “good ole boy” network of appraisers and umpires who make a living from serving on appraisal panels alone.  Contact our office for guidance before making your decision.

– See more at: https://uthlaw.com/insurance-litigation#sthash.F5AZQNXy.dpuf